Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 9:43pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « TheMob vs TheGang »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   TheMob vs TheGang
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ...  20 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: TheMob vs TheGang  (Read 41448 times)
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

Re: TheMob vs TheGang
« Reply #45 on: Jun 13th, 2011, 8:07am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jun 11th, 2011, 8:13pm, mistre wrote:

If this ends up being the case, I will volunteer my services as the coordinator of the Mob.  I will need a crash course on the other aspects of wizardry from the head wizard at Hogwarts however.  Go Mob!  Go USA!

The mechanical aspects of coordinator are easy to explain.  Coordinator account, voting site, moderator status in forum.  I'll do this when we start.  Even during the match, I can answer generic questions from either moderator.  I will try to share my ways of prompting final comments.  A useful spell like, "Let's  make our final comments by Wednesday evening and plan to begin voting Thursday."  This spell usually works even if you don't carry a wand.
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #46 on: Jun 13th, 2011, 1:18pm »

Nice idea! I fear won't have much time to devote to arimaa in the next few months, but I'll try to chime in as often as possible Smiley
IP Logged

Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #47 on: Jun 13th, 2011, 10:17pm »

I'm in...but probably need finish a few postal mixer games before I will be able to contribute as much discussion as I did at the end of the last Mob game.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #48 on: Jun 14th, 2011, 12:01am »

If it turns out that the current version of the forum is unable to provide us with venues restricted by groups (and Omar is unwilling or unable to upgrade the version), which option would people prefer: Having the discussion here with only a gentlemen's agreement not to look at the other team's discussion, or try to find a solution on another domain with some security?
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #49 on: Jun 14th, 2011, 3:51am »

gentlemen's agreement... of course Smiley
IP Logged

Swynndla
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1821

« Reply #50 on: Jun 14th, 2011, 5:37am »

(As I've already stated) I like the gentle-person's agreement.  It's not that I think we can trust each other, it's just that I think if someone really wants to look at the other side, then that's up to them, even if I wouldn't do it myself.  Likewise, if someone from the opposition was spying on my team, then it wouldn't worry me, as that's up to them (and who's to say I'm right anyway?).  It's hard to explain what I mean. In Hogwarts, Slytherin weren't banned, but were an equal quarter.
IP Logged
megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #51 on: Jun 14th, 2011, 5:53am »

The Mob vs. The One relied on the trustworthiness of only one person, The One, who was always a respected and mature member of the Arimaa community. However in this case it would rely on the trustworthiness of all members of both teams. And only one of those people needs temptation to get the better of them to spoil the party. A certain cautionary tale from the AWL springs to mind.

By the way, I would also like to take part, although perhaps in practice I will only be peripherally involved.
« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2011, 6:26am by megajester » IP Logged

arimaa_master
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2010

« Reply #52 on: Jun 14th, 2011, 6:27am »

Gentleman's agreement - especially because I want to play the board not the opponent - thus finding the best move we will be able to come up apart from the fact if somebody spying us or not.
IP Logged
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #53 on: Jun 14th, 2011, 8:41am »

on Jun 14th, 2011, 6:27am, arimaa_master wrote:
Gentleman's agreement - especially because I want to play the board not the opponent - thus finding the best move we will be able to come up apart from the fact if somebody spying us or not.

But even when we playing board, not the opponent, I would prefer to chose only one team to play for Wink.
IP Logged

RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #54 on: Jun 14th, 2011, 4:29pm »

Gentlemuggle's agreement should work.  Imagine the reaction of one's own team members if your post begins, "I saw in the other team's analysis that..."

You'd be flamed faster than a flatulent phoenix.
IP Logged
rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #55 on: Jun 14th, 2011, 4:31pm »

on Jun 14th, 2011, 4:29pm, RonWeasley wrote:
Gentlemuggle's agreement should work.  Imagine the reaction of one's own team members if your post begins, "I saw in the other team's analysis that..."

You'd be flamed faster than a flatulent phoenix.

But it can just as easily begin with "they're probably expecting us to... " or "what if they replied ... to that?" ?
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #56 on: Jun 14th, 2011, 5:16pm »

on Jun 14th, 2011, 4:31pm, rbarreira wrote:
But it can just as easily begin with "they're probably expecting us to... " or "what if they replied ... to that?" ?

Indeed, the purpose of cheating in the context would less likely be a desire to win the game, and more likely a desire to appear smart.  "Your move suggestion might look good superficially, but it can be refuted by X, which I analyzed extensively."  Anyone who is going to transgress community norms by reading the other team's discussion is unlikely to freely admit that their "extensive analysis" consisted of peeking.
« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2011, 5:16pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

UruramTururam
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2537

« Reply #57 on: Jun 14th, 2011, 5:28pm »

"Trust them and audit them."  
(Stalin)
IP Logged

Caffa et bucella per attactionem corporum venit ad stomachum meum.
BGG Arimaa badges - get your own one!
Swynndla
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1821

« Reply #58 on: Jun 14th, 2011, 6:00pm »

on Jun 14th, 2011, 5:16pm, Fritzlein wrote:

Indeed, the purpose of cheating in the context would less likely be a desire to win the game, and more likely a desire to appear smart.

My point is "so what?" .. I'm not trying to be argumentative here, rather it's what I was trying to say previously, summed up in two words. Smiley   So what if someone fancies the idea of appearing smarter than they are (or maybe more that they appear that they understand how the other side is thinking)?  It's only a game. Smiley
IP Logged
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #59 on: Jun 15th, 2011, 1:47am »

I expect phase of "move generation" without explanation why. And cheater "copying moves from the other thread would be hardly detected in this phase.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ...  20 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.