Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 6:03am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « player of the month »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   player of the month
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: player of the month  (Read 11669 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: player of the month
« Reply #90 on: Aug 17th, 2005, 5:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Thanks, Omar.  It is very good of you to be so responsive to suggestions.  For good or for ill, it is because you take suggestions so seriously that you keep getting advice from all sides! Smiley  Hopefully the Arimaa community ends up better off that way in the long run.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #91 on: Aug 17th, 2005, 6:07pm »

Actually I feel that Im not responsive enough.

But eventually I think things will stabalize and there will be less suggestions and we will have built a very good system around Arimaa for contests, tournaments, ratings, etc.

IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #92 on: Aug 17th, 2005, 9:53pm »

on Aug 16th, 2005, 1:00am, Arimanator wrote:

I believe that people who want to find loopholes in a set of rules always do.
With all due respect Omar, the ones you punish here is the honest time-outers ...

Most players who are in the know do try to play games to completion, so you are right that it only really effects the honest time-outers.

IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #93 on: Aug 26th, 2005, 7:54am »

on Aug 15th, 2005, 6:16pm, Fritzlein wrote:

One possibility to have your cake and eat it too is to reward the loser on a per-move basis.  Then resignation or timeout would always cost something relative to playing even for one more move, never mind playing on until the end of the game.  A possible formula for this would be 3 points to the winner, and to the loser 3*(1 - 0.5^(moves/25)) points.

I was about to make this rule change, but then thought that it might be enough just to say: "If a player resigns or forfeits the player does not receive any points". That requires the least amount of changes to the rules.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #94 on: Aug 26th, 2005, 6:24pm »

on Aug 26th, 2005, 7:54am, omar wrote:

I was about to make this rule change, but then thought that it might be enough just to say: "If a player resigns or forfeits the player does not receive any points". That requires the least amount of changes to the rules.

I can understand that you want to keep it simple.  It's a tradeoff, of course, that not every single move will be rewarded, so that a losing player has no incentive to prolong the game once he is past the 60-move mark, but on the bright side the scores will stay intergral.

What does "forefeit" mean in this context, though?  I thought the only scheduled matches could be lost by forfeit, not regular live games.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #95 on: Aug 27th, 2005, 11:24am »

on Aug 26th, 2005, 6:24pm, Fritzlein wrote:

What does "forefeit" mean in this context, though?  I thought the only scheduled matches could be lost by forfeit, not regular live games.

You're right "forefeit" applies only to scheduled games. We currently don't use the schedule game feature much, but it is possible. In the code I check for it just in case and so I wrote it that way in the description.
IP Logged
PMertens
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #692

« Reply #96 on: Sep 13th, 2005, 9:34am »

JDB and me just played a rated game - this was later changed to unrated due to connection problems.

Unfortunately it is still counted for PotM (well, unfortunately for jdb, not for me Wink )

It is certainly among the lesser important problems - unless someone else tries for the contest this month ...
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #97 on: Sep 24th, 2005, 4:59am »

I don't see any unrated game with JDB in your list of opponents. If possible could you give me the game number and I'll check it out. Thanks.
IP Logged
PMertens
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #692

« Reply #98 on: Sep 23rd, 2005, 8:22pm »

mea culpa ... I obviosly played 2 games without noticing it Smiley

your code is fine, I have to work on my eyes   Embarassed
IP Logged
PMertens
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #692

« Reply #99 on: Sep 29th, 2005, 10:23pm »

Hmmmmmmmm ...

Looks like this month was decided 18 days ago  Undecided

But I really feel bad due to the fact that the server problems might have crushed any attempts far better than my early lead.

Since I really prefer a good challenge over an easy victory I would be willing to offer this month prize money for a double or nothing special in october ... that is if Omar is willing to do it  Cool
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #100 on: Oct 1st, 2005, 10:26pm »

on Sep 29th, 2005, 10:23pm, PMertens wrote:
But I really feel bad due to the fact that the server problems might have crushed any attempts far better than my early lead.

I think you won September fair and square, Paul.  Anyone who plays an "I'll catch up later" strategy for Player of the Month has himself to blame if opponents are hard to come by later.  Let's start over fresh for October and see what happens.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #101 on: Nov 20th, 2005, 11:14pm »

on Aug 26th, 2005, 7:54am, omar wrote:

Didn't the rules change so that you can get points if you lose on time?  Yet I see PMertens is getting zero points for his time loss to 99of9 in game 21716.  I think that this rule is just zapping folks who time out due to browser crashes or network troubles, and I thought you had decided to change it, but if you had decided to keep time losses as zero points I respect your decision.
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2005, 11:14pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #102 on: Nov 21st, 2005, 10:42pm »

I forgot to copy over the new rules program at the begining of this month. So it was still using the old program to show the current status. Should be OK now. Thanks for mentioning it.
IP Logged
PMertens
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #692

« Reply #103 on: Nov 22nd, 2005, 8:46am »

thanks guys  Smiley

I did not want to mention it during the tourney, but naturally I like the new order much better  Grin
IP Logged
Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #104 on: Nov 22nd, 2005, 9:22am »

I was also thinking about PoTM during the tournament.  My first thought when my opponent didn't show up wasn't about an automatic victory in the tournament.  It was missing an opportunity to earn up to 3 PoTM points  Grin
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.