Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 1:22am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « player of the month »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   player of the month
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: player of the month  (Read 11667 times)
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

Re: player of the month
« Reply #75 on: Jul 22nd, 2005, 5:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Thanks for pointing out that glitch Karl, I've modifed the program, but we'll have to see if it really does the right thing. It uses the method Karl suggest.

If most people perfer counting postal games that were started in previous months then I can change it include that also. Just let me know.
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2005, 5:24pm by omar » IP Logged
robinson
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #719

119532424 119532424    
Email

« Reply #76 on: Jul 23rd, 2005, 7:40am »

i am for counting postals too, cause of the given reasons.
IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #77 on: Jul 23rd, 2005, 2:15pm »

I am in favor of counting owl games too.  They are the only way muggles get credit for beating me.
« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2005, 2:16pm by RonWeasley » IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #78 on: Jul 27th, 2005, 5:56am »

Sounds like most people are in favor of it.

I will activate this rule starting Aug 2005.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #79 on: Jul 27th, 2005, 6:34am »

The rule will also apply to interactive games. Thus any game (postal or interactive) which starts in one month and ends in a different month is counted in the month that it ends.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #80 on: Jul 27th, 2005, 5:17pm »

on Jul 27th, 2005, 6:34am, omar wrote:
The rule will also apply to interactive games. Thus any game (postal or interactive) which starts in one month and ends in a different month is counted in the month that it ends.

Thanks for making this change, Omar.  Robinson will still probably win every month if he keeps up his human-bashing, but at least this way all serious human-human games will be recognized, even if they are so unfortunate as to straddle months.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #81 on: Jul 31st, 2005, 11:24pm »

Omar, it looks like the rule hasn't kicked in yet.  My postal versus PMertens should count in August, because it ended in August and the new rules should apply.  (Or else it ended in July, in which case it started and ended in the same month, in which case I would have won for July! Smiley)
IP Logged

99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #82 on: Aug 1st, 2005, 12:11am »

Maybe the new code had to be in force when the game started rather than when it finished??
IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

toby_hudson  

« Reply #83 on: Aug 1st, 2005, 3:22am »

on Aug 1st, 2005, 1:08am, Arimanator wrote:
With all due respect, that's not very practical.  

Some games last more than one month (not to mention more than one year !!!) so that means that in some cases you'd have to wait several months to know who actually won the contest or get back the money from one contestant and give it to another (rather awkward  Grin ).

I'm not saying that's how it *should* work.  I'm just saying that maybe Omar has implemented it, but it hasn't backdated the flags on current games.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #84 on: Aug 2nd, 2005, 10:10am »

on Jul 31st, 2005, 11:24pm, Fritzlein wrote:
Omar, it looks like the rule hasn't kicked in yet.  My postal versus PMertens should count in August, because it ended in August and the new rules should apply.  (Or else it ended in July, in which case it started and ended in the same month, in which case I would have won for July! Smiley)

I had not updated the links to use the program with the new rules. It should be OK now.

IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #85 on: Aug 7th, 2005, 1:01am »

Omar, I think the rules for PotM need to be amended again for September.  I just lost game 17673 to PMertens when my browser crashed after 66 moves.  I'm not worried about the rating points, since he had me dead to rights anyway, but it doesn't seem fair that it should be a zero-point loss, since I fought hard the whole way and it was a good, serious game.  I'm not saying that I should get points for it this month, but I do think the rule doesn't make sense as is.  As always, thanks for listening.
IP Logged

99of9
Forum Guru

toby_hudson  

« Reply #86 on: Aug 7th, 2005, 4:06am »

Agreed.  You should get points for the number of moves you last, no matter what happens after you last them.

If the points are reinstated this month (which I support)... you deserve another one for the game against me.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #87 on: Aug 15th, 2005, 3:55pm »

Humm, this rule change would effect the original goals.

Remember one of my stated goals for the new player of the month contest was:

* It should encourage more completed games

With the games that count for the POTM contest I wanted to encourage games that were completed and discourage resigning. So a player would be penalized for resigning by not receiving any points for the game.

In our discussion near the bottom of page three, we realized that penalizing resigning also ment that losing on time would be penalized as a side effect. We can't have one and not the other.

So the question comes down to do we throw out that original stated goal or not. I'll have to think about this one a bit.

IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #88 on: Aug 15th, 2005, 6:16pm »

on Aug 15th, 2005, 3:55pm, omar wrote:
Remember one of my stated goals for the new player of the month contest was:

* It should encourage more completed games

One possibility to have your cake and eat it too is to reward the loser on a per-move basis.  Then resignation or timeout would always cost something relative to playing even for one more move, never mind playing on until the end of the game.  A possible formula for this would be 3 points to the winner, and to the loser 3*(1 - 0.5^(moves/25)) points.

To me it seems that the length of survival is the right thing to emphasize, as opposed to the method in which the game ends.  After 61 moves against PMertens, I was already going to get my 3 points for PotM, and I was quite sure I was going to lose.  I could very easily have "blundered" on purpose and let his rabbit slip through to end the game.  Had I done that and lost by goal, I would have been better off than fighting to move 66 and losing by browser crash.  From that perspective, the current rules punished me for fighting on, because the current rules are concerned about the type of termination more than about the game length.

In the future I could make sure to lose quickly by goal once I have no hope of winning, in order to minimize the risk of a crash costing me all of my hard-earned points.  I wouldn't do this, of course, but it is the type of behavior the rules currently would reward.  My proposed formula, in contrast, would punish (albeit slightly) purposely losing in any fashion.

That said, I'm just grateful that you run this contest, Omar, and you certainly have the right to run it however you choose.  Whatever you decide on this rule, I'll abide by the spirit of the contest.  Thanks for having this fun incentive to play!
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #89 on: Aug 17th, 2005, 5:35pm »

on Aug 15th, 2005, 6:16pm, Fritzlein wrote:

One possibility to have your cake and eat it too is to reward the loser on a per-move basis.  Then resignation or timeout would always cost something relative to playing even for one more move, never mind playing on until the end of the game.  A possible formula for this would be 3 points to the winner, and to the loser 3*(1 - 0.5^(moves/25)) points.

That seems like a pretty nice solution.

I'll include it starting in September.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.