Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 1st, 2024, 11:48pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « player of the month »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   player of the month
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7  8 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: player of the month  (Read 11665 times)
99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

Re: player of the month
« Reply #60 on: May 30th, 2005, 5:11am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on May 29th, 2005, 10:40am, Arimanator wrote:
As for your neck 99of9 don't worry we abolished the death penalty a long time ago, I was a teen at the time

Thankyou for your reassurance!  And for the record, I never accused you of being a witch!  Are you one?  Or do I have to drown you until you tell me?  Wink
IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #61 on: May 31st, 2005, 8:26am »

Arimanator is not a witch.  He's a muggle.  If you try to drown a witch, she'll use the protestus charm and make all the bystanders hit you on the head with hand-made signs denouncing water pollution.  You can tell a muggle by their concern for the decimal system.  Besides, Arimanator has worked too hard to become a good player.  It's people like WagnerK you have to wonder about.
IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

« Reply #62 on: May 31st, 2005, 10:30am »

I noticed that my postal game against robinson did not show up in his POTM list.  Because postal games can extend into multiple months, I propose they count for the month in which they end.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #63 on: May 31st, 2005, 3:11pm »

I agree that postal games should count.  Player of the Month is supposed to encourage serious games, and postal games are often the most serious kind of game.  What is the reasoning behind disallowing games which start and end in different months?
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #64 on: Jun 1st, 2005, 5:47am »

on May 29th, 2005, 9:31am, Fritzlein wrote:

Sportsmanship is obviously a very subjective concept, and different people will have different opinions about it.  For example, Omar feels it is good sportsmanship to never resign and play to the end of every game.

One of the nice things about not resigning is that it brings a natural closure to the game and does not leave any doubt about what could have happened. From the point of view of the players it doesn't seem so important, but for the spectators and those reviewing the game later, it makes the game more interesting.

Quote:

Perhaps the best thing in this situation is for Omar to say what he envisions for the Player of the Month contest ...

We knew at the time of discussing the new rules that it would be possible for an experienced player to seek out easy games against new players if they wanted to. I guess we decided that the pros out weighed the cons. As such I don't think that any player should be modest in exploiting the rules of the contest in order to win. If we find a major flaw in the rules, we need to change the rules, but until then whatever you can do within the rules is fair game.

IP Logged
PMertens
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #692

« Reply #65 on: Jun 1st, 2005, 8:18pm »

hey, I am leading this month  Grin
IP Logged
robinson
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #719

119532424 119532424    
Email

« Reply #66 on: Jun 2nd, 2005, 8:10am »

puh i am so happy that i havent needed the two endgames vs my brother Wink Wink Wink last month
IP Logged
PMertens
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #692

« Reply #67 on: Jun 2nd, 2005, 11:55am »

hell, that would have raised an eyebrow Smiley
IP Logged
PMertens
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #692

« Reply #68 on: Jun 2nd, 2005, 11:56am »

"exploiting the rules"

once upon a time Fritzl tried to win the contest with a last minute game - and lost by just a few minutes Smiley
(I was watching the game ... how exciting)

I thought that was a nice try at that time Wink
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #69 on: Jun 3rd, 2005, 11:36am »

on Jun 2nd, 2005, 8:10am, robinson wrote:
puh i am so happy that i havent needed the two endgames vs my brother Wink Wink Wink last month

Maybe we should write it into the rules that games versus nuclear family members don't count.  Otherwise I might have to recruit my wife to help me win.  Smiley
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #70 on: Jun 5th, 2005, 9:05am »

on Jun 4th, 2005, 2:52am, Arimanator wrote:

*Ok, for some reason that dumb search function won't work, so check "the relative value of pieces in arimaa" post number 52 or take my word for it  Grin

The default is to search in the last 7 days; besure to increase that if you are searching for older stuff.
IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

« Reply #71 on: Jun 6th, 2005, 7:32am »

Quote:
By the way I looked up muggle just for the fun of it, and I found a reference to a certain Arthur Weasley muggle protection act, any relations?

That's my father.  He works in the Ministry of Magic.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #72 on: Jul 21st, 2005, 9:48pm »

Omar,

There is a tiny glitch with the POTM rules.  If two players have the same number of points, then whoever achieved that number of points first wins the contest.  Just today, however, I played Robinson.  We both started the game with 6 points (he was first on tiebreaks), and I lost in 61 moves, so we both got 3 points up to 9 points each.  For some reason, I am now first in the standings!

I think that if two players reach the same point total in the same game then the tiebreak should clearly go to whoever won that game.  Of course, this fine point of the rules is very unlikely to come into play at the end of the month, because whoever is leading has little incentive to play whoever is in second place, but just in case it might be good to tweak the rules.

Oh, and that reminds me to ask: why not count postal games towards POTM for the month in which they end?  It seems you want to encourage serious games for POTM, and postal is as serious as it gets.  I ask this because I expect I will be playing postally more often in the future.

As always, thanks for reading the community feedback.
IP Logged

99of9
Forum Guru

toby_hudson  

« Reply #73 on: Jul 21st, 2005, 11:46pm »

on Jul 21st, 2005, 9:48pm, Fritzlein wrote:
I think that if two players reach the same point total in the same game then the tiebreak should clearly go to whoever won that game.  Of course, this fine point of the rules is very unlikely to come into play at the end of the month, because whoever is leading has little incentive to play whoever is in second place, but just in case it might be good to tweak the rules.

But if both players earned the same points, what about just preserving the order of those two players from before the game?  i.e. since Robinson was on 6 points first, he is also first to 9 points.  That way the player leading the contest will still have an incentive to play the player coming second in the contest.

I'm not sure what should happen if one player catches up to the other's number of points.
IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

toby_hudson  

« Reply #74 on: Jul 22nd, 2005, 1:17am »

I've thought about it a bit, and I now think it doesn't matter much at all.  Since Fritz's method is most likely easier to implement than mine, I support going with that.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7  8 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.